[SciPy-user] differences between numpy.linalg.cholesky and scipy.linalg.cholesky?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 02:58:19 EST 2008

Emanuele Olivetti wrote:
> Looking in numpy/scipy source code I see that:
> - numpy.linalg.cholesky wraps the fortran function "dpotrf"
> - scipy.linalg.decomp wraps "potrf"
>
> Which is the difference between 'dpotrf' and 'potrf' ?

Most LAPACK subroutines have variants for each type specified by a single-letter
prefix in front of the subroutine name.

   S = float32
   D = float64
   C = complex64
   Z = complex128

One of the features of f2py, which is used to make scipy.linalg.decomp but not
numpy.linalg, is that it can have templated interface definitions so one
declaration will wrap all four variants.

If you call scipy.linalg.cholesky with a float64 array, it will ultimately call
DPOTRF, too.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."