[SciPy-user] Multithreading cookbook entry

Young, Karl karl.young at ucsf.edu
Thu Feb 21 15:09:03 EST 2008

Sorry for the huge picture, really ignorant question (my specialty !) but why couldn't all this be encapsulated in something like a version of MPI for python (since I don't know anything about the GIL I assume that might be the answer) - I recall years ago that Sun had a beautiful design (amazing !) re. their version of MPI that ran on their NUMA architecture - the library allowed the code to know whether one was communicating/running in shared and/or distributed memory and dispatched things appropriately (i.e. threaded or not). I know this is a bit futuristic but all of this should just be transparent to the non expert user; one should only have to learn details when parallelization is non-trivial. Maybe MPI isn't the best model for consolidation but it seems to abstract parallel operations in a reasonable way.

Karl Young
Center for Imaging of Neurodegenerative Disease, UCSF
VA Medical Center, MRS Unit (114M)
Phone:  (415) 221-4810 x3114
FAX:    (415) 668-2864
Email:  karl young at ucsf edu