[SciPy-user] disabling fftw3 during scipy build

Russell E. Owen rowen at cesmail.net
Thu Feb 14 15:48:19 EST 2008

In article
<cd7634ce0802131632s427ad312ud6e705b202e0bcc1 at mail.gmail.com>,
 "Barry Wark" <barrywark at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would be happy to start producing OS X eggs of scipy for
> distribution. At our site, we build scipy with fftw3 from MacPorts. I
> know the preference is to build eggs for release without the fftw3
> dependency. Is there a way to turn off linking with fftw3 during the
> scipy build process, even if fftw3 is present on the system? I can
> disable fftw3 via MacPorts, build, then re-enable, but I'd prefer to
> keep the build process a little more contained. Forgive me if rkern's
> already told us all how to do this years ago...

Would it make sense to statically link fftw3, instead? To do that I
think all you would have to do is delete (or temporarily hide) the
shared library, build scipy, then the shared library back. Then all
users of your egg would gain the benefits of fftw3.

I'm sure there is a more elegant solution involving copying the fftw3
static library in a special directory and using environment variable
magic to make it visible and fink NOT visible to the scipy build. But I
don't know the magic (if I did I'd use it to build matplotlib).

-- Russell