[SciPy-user] information on statistical functions

Stéfan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Thu Dec 18 08:18:41 EST 2008

Hi Robert

2008/12/18 Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com>:
> The terms are commonly used in English the same way that you are using
> them. I just happen to disagree with the common practice.

I am fond of your explanation on "bias" (I've read it a couple of
times now).  Would you consider writing it up somewhere?  There are so
many common misconceptions around this topic that such a document
would be a valuable resource.  I saw the term again earlier today in
some of Stein's papers (Estimation with Quadratic Loss and Estimation
of the Mean of a Multivariate Normal Distribution), and was reminded
of this thread.

Regards
Stéfan