[SciPy-user] ANN: SciKits Portal

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Mon Dec 15 11:11:12 EST 2008

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 05:02:52PM +0200, Stéfan van der Walt wrote:
> David Cournapeau and myself thought that a SciKits portal, similar in
> spirit to the GNU/R Package Repository [1] or the mloss.org site [2],
> would be a good way to market SciKits and to promote them for general
> use by the community.  The Division of Applied Mathematics at
> Stellenbosch University donated some funds, allowing us to hire Janto
> Dreijer to bring this idea to fruition.  The resulting
> work-in-progress can be found here:

> http://scikits.appspot.com

Fantastic! We really need these efforts.

One small remark: could we have a visual style, and marketting that
clearly shows on a first look that the is part of the scipy ecosystem?
We need to establish the community and the brand. We also need to make it
easier for people to figure out what packages go with what.

By visual style, or branding, I have something really light in mind, eg a
logo.

Gaël