[SciPy-user] fftw and scipy 0.7

Gabriel Beckers beckers at orn.mpg.de
Thu Dec 11 11:31:24 EST 2008

thanks David,

On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 23:23 +0900, David Cournapeau wrote:
> What it the dimensions of your fourier transforms ? The use of fftw in
> scipy was far from optimal for various reasons, so I am a bit
> surprised about the very significant part.

The dimension varies, but I must immediately admit that I didn't make
any comparisons between the different fft libraries from within scipy. I
just used fftw a lot before, in plain C programs, and then it was very
fast and gave significant speed increases. I was assuming that it would
do the same if I could use it from within scipy. But apparently that may
not be the case.

Perhaps I should try the boost::python wrapper that Neal mentions, since
it already exists, and see if I get an improvement that is worth the
trouble or not.

Cheers, Gabriel