[SciPy-user] Curve fitting and LaTeX output

Ryan Krauss ryanlists at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 22:27:05 EDT 2008

You can use optimize.fmin to fit a curve of an arbitrary form.  You have to
be careful to specify the output of your cost function correctly - you
probably want the sum of the squared error.  The first input to the cost
function must be a vector of unknown coefficients.

Something like

import scipy

y = #some data here
x = #some other array here

def mycost(c):
    y_model = c[0] + c[1]**x
    error_vect = y - y_model
    return sum(error_vect**2)

c_initial_guess = [123412.1234, 1203740.0123984]

c_final = scipy.optimize.fmin(mycost, c_initial_guess)

I didn't test that code, but am 90% confident in it.

I have written my own latex output code for lots of stuff, but it is messy.
I don't know what exists that is well conceived :)

Ryan