[SciPy-user] Revisiting Log Arrays

T J tjhnson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 12:26:44 EDT 2008

Hi,

A while back there was a discussion on including support for working
with log arrays:

http://www.mail-archive.com/numpy-discussion@scipy.org/msg08840.html

It looked like some major steps were taken to this goal:

http://www.mail-archive.com/numpy-discussion@scipy.org/msg08982.html

but unfortunately, I didn't follow up from there.

1) The end of the second discussion made it seem like scipy.special was
a good place for this.  Has this been committed?  I'd love to just do a
'svn update'.

2) If it has not been committed yet, I would still like to try it.  What
would I need to do to get this working?  In particular, it looks like
the patch was for numpy rather than scipy.special.

3) I'm curious how this works.  Suppose I have a log array and that I
multiply it (elementwise) by a normal array.  Typically, 0 log 0 is
defined to be 0.  Would this be handled properly? Or would I need to
post-process the array (that would be slow...)?

4) Eventually, it would be really nice to have logdot and the other
functions mentioned in the second discussion.  I'll do whatever I can to
help move this along, but getting this committed and out there seems
like a good next step.

Thanks for the hard work already,
T J