[SciPy-user] pyqwt or matplotlib

Pierre Raybaut contact at pythonxy.com
Tue Aug 26 16:12:19 EDT 2008

> Message: 4
> Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 14:27:59 +0200
> From: bernardo martins rocha <bernardo.rocha at meduni-graz.at>
> Subject: [SciPy-user] pyqwt or matplotlib
> To: scipy-user at scipy.org
>
> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm starting to write a program with PyQt to visualize some traces from
> a system of ODEs. I would like to plot one graphic for each variable
> inside this PyQt application...and I'm wondering which one is the best
> for it: matplotlib or pyqwt? I will read some files using PyTables and
> then I'll plot everything and some of these files are very big, so I
> need something fast and good.
>
> I've been using matplotlib for some small programs and it's very nice,
> powerful and beautiful. I've already embedded some matplotlib plots
> inside a PyQt application. But I have the impression that pyqwt is
> faster than matplotlib. Is it true? Is there another library for
> plotting that would do the job?
>
> Thanks!
> Bernardo M. Rocha
Hi,

That is not an impression: PyQwt is much faster than matplotlib and is
often used precisely to analyse huge data sets (here is an example:
http://pyqwt.sourceforge.net/images/meq.pdf -- simple plotting, but very
effective).
On the other hand, as you may know, matplotlib has *a lot* more
features, but if you don't need them...

Pierre