[SciPy-user] Finding local minima of greater than a given depth

Zachary Pincus zachary.pincus at yale.edu
Thu Aug 14 23:49:04 EDT 2008

Hi,

Not that it likely matters in this case, but below is a version of the
local_minima function that uses some more advanced numpy features,
like "fancy indexing". These features really make life easier in many
cases (and are usually faster than explicit loops), so it's really
worth learning how they work:

def local_minima_fancy(fits, window=15):
    from scipy.ndimage import minimum_filter
    fits = numpy.asarray(fits)
    minfits = minimum_filter(fits, size=window, mode="wrap")
    minima_mask = fits == minfits
    good_indices = numpy.arange(len(fits))[minima_mask]
    good_fits = fits[minima_mask]
    order = good_fits.argsort()
    return good_indices[order], good_fits[order]

We have two types of fancy indexing here. The first takes a boolean
"mask":
    good_fits = fits[minima_mask]
returns only the elements of fits where the minima_mask array is true.
It's equivalent to:
   good_fits = numpy.array([fits[i] for i, m in enumerate(minima_mask)
if m])

The second takes a list/array of indices:
   return good_indices[order]
is equivalent to:
   return numpy.array([good_indices[i] for i in order])

Also note that the original function you sent has a slight bug when
there are multiple minima with the same value: list.index returns the
index of the *first* entry in the list with that value, so the indices
of later minima will be incorrect. Plus, the function does some
unnecessary work:
good_fits = [ fit for fit in minima ]
makes an unneeded copy of minima, and
good_indices = [ fits.index(fit) for fit in minima ]
requires traversing the fits list once for each minima (the "index"
method runs a linear search), when only one traversal should be
required.

Here's a fixed and tuned-up version with just list processing:

def local_minima_fixed(fits, window=15):
    from scipy.ndimage.filters import minimum_filter as min_filter
    minfits = min_filter(fits, size=window, mode="wrap")
    minima_and_indices = []
    for i, (fit, minfit) in enumerate(zip(fits, minfits)):
      if fit == minfit:
        minima_and_indices.append([fit, i])
    minima_and_indices.sort()
    good_fits, good_indices = zip(*minima_and_indices)
    return good_indices, good_fits

For reference, here are some timings (made with ipython's excellent
timeit magic command):
In [60]: a = numpy.random.randint(400, size=2000)

In [61]: timeit local_minima(list(a), 5)
100 loops, best of 3: 7.38 ms per loop

In [62]: timeit local_minima_fixed(list(a), 5)
100 loops, best of 3: 2.69 ms per loop

In [63]: timeit local_minima_fancy(list(a), 5)
1000 loops, best of 3: 973 [micro]s per loop

As above, the speed of this routine probably doesn't matter too much,
but it's a useful exercise to understand how and why these other
versions work (if some step doesn't make sense, try working through
the steps in the interpreter to see what's happening -- this is a good
way to learn some nice features of python and numpy), and how the
"fancy" version uses numpy's advanced features to good effect.

Zach