[SciPy-user] scipy.stats.gamma usage.

Zachary Pincus zachary.pincus at yale.edu
Mon Aug 4 11:59:08 EDT 2008

> I am not an expert in statistics and had too validate some
> computations.
> I currently try to use the scipy.stats.gamma.pdf function.
>
> I don't know how to use the function and obtain the results
> presented in
> wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_distribution.

Could you be a bit more specific about your question? Which "results"
from the wikipedia page are you hoping to replicate?

Here's a thumbnail of the usage of the function though:

scipy.stats.gamma.pdf([0, 1, 2, 3], 9, scale=0.5)

will give you the probability density at x = 0, 1, 2, and 3 of a gamma
function with the shape parameter (k in the wikipedia page, a in the
scipy.stats.gamma docstring -- did you read the documentation for
scipy.stats.gamma?) set to 9 and the scale parameter (theta in
wikipedia, 'scale' in scipy) set to 0.5.

Zach