[SciPy-user] Building Scipy with ifort in Mac os X 10.5.2

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 05:15:48 EDT 2008

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 9:00 PM, Andres Gonzalez-Mancera
<gonzalezmancera+scipy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to build Scipy with ifort on a core 2 duo iMac running 10.5.2 and
> the latest version of the developer tools. I'm using python 2.5.2 from
> python.org. In the same system I'm able to build and run Scipy with gfortran
> from the att research web site without any problems. I do not have the intel
> C compiler so I'm using gcc for this purpose.
>
> I'm using the 32 bit version of ifort 10.1.014 with 10.0.2.018 version of
> the intel MKL. I haven't been able to find concrete building instructions so
> I'm following the instructions in scipy.org except I'm using:
>
> python setup.py build_src build_clib --fcompiler=intel build_ext
> --fcompiler=intel build
>
> to build Scipy. The build process fails with the following message:

This is a known (to me, at any rate) deficiency. We simply haven't
implemented the correct link flags for the Intel Fortran compiler on
OS X. I have occasionally taken a stab at the problem, but I haven't
found a satisfactory solution. As far as I can tell, the Intel Fortran
compiler is only capable of building dynamic libraries (.dylib files),
not the bundles (.so files) which is the required format for Python
extension modules. If you come up with a set of link flags that will
create a Python extension module, please let us know.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
 -- Umberto Eco