[SciPy-user] BVP

Michael McNeil Forbes mforbes at physics.ubc.ca
Fri Apr 11 13:03:30 EDT 2008

Hi Lorenzo,

On 11 Apr 2008, at 6:11 AM, lorenzo bolla wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> Is there any package to solve Boundary Value Problems with Scipy?
> I'm thinking to something like Matlab's bvp4c.
> I found this, by Pauli Virtanen: http://www.elisanet.fi/ptvirtan/
> software/bvp/index.html, which is a wrapper to COLNEW, but it fails
> to compile/install.
> Here is the installation error:
>
> ----------------------
> $> python setup.py install
>
> setup.py:17: UserWarning:
>     Atlas (http://math-atlas.sourceforge.net/) libraries not found.
>     Directories to search for the libraries can be specified in the
>     numpy/distutils/site.cfg file (section [atlas]) or by setting
>     the ATLAS environment variable.
>   warnings.warn(AtlasNotFoundError.__doc__)
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "setup.py", line 63, in <module>
>     setup(**configuration(top_path='').todict())
>   File "setup.py", line 24, in configuration
>     info = __import__('bvp/info')
> ImportError: No module named bvp/info
>
> ----------------------

I just fixed this by adding:

sys.path.insert(0,'bvp')

then changing the line to

info = __import__('info')

(Does anyone know a better way of allowing the setup file to refer to
the info file which is down a path?)

After this, running

python setup.py build
python setup.py install

works for me on Mac OS X and Linux.  I do not have a windows box.
The missing file does get generated (presumably by f2c).  What
versions of bvp and numpy are you using?  (Were you able to build
numpy, or did you use a binary?)

Michael.