[SciPy-user] Fwd: interpolation question

Michael Hearne mhearne at usgs.gov
Tue Oct 23 15:32:24 EDT 2007

Haven't heard any discussion on this issue since I posted last week -
are these in fact bugs or am I not using the module correctly?

I also found that if I modify the code in fitpack2.py (see below) to
compare dimension[0] with Y and dimension[1] with X, I still get back
interpolated results whose dimensions are opposite of what was
specified (rows => columns, columns=> rows).

If this is a persistent or low-priority issue, does anyone have any
suggestions for workaround options for 2d interpolation of regularly
spaced data?

Thanks,

Mike Hearne

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Michael Hearne <mhearne at usgs.gov>
> Date: October 17, 2007 2:46:31 PM MDT
> To: SciPy Users List <scipy-user at scipy.org>
> Subject: Re: [SciPy-user] interpolation question
>
> John - Thanks very much, this is great!
>
> I do have one more question - when I use the code with a non-square
> grid, I get an error saying that my x data does not match the x
> dimension of my z data.
>
> In looking at the following code, it seems like x is being compared
> with the number of rows of Z data, and y being compared with the
> number of columns:
>
> if not x.size == z.shape[0]:
>             raise TypeError,\
>                   'x dimension of z must have same number of
> elements as x'
>         if not y.size == z.shape[1]:
>             raise TypeError,\
>                   'y dimension of z must have same number of
> elements as y'
>
> Isn't numpy row-major like Matlab?  I.e, The first dimension is
> that of rows, the second is that of columns?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike Hearne
>
> On Oct 17, 2007, at 1:17 PM, John Travers wrote:
>
>> from scipy.interpolate import RectBivariateSpline

> Michael Hearne
> mhearne at usgs.gov
> (303) 273-8620
> USGS National Earthquake Information Center
> 1711 Illinois St. Golden CO 80401
> Senior Software Engineer
> Synergetics, Inc.

Michael Hearne