[SciPy-user] Bundling numpy/scipy with applications

Michael Hearne mhearne at usgs.gov
Mon Nov 12 15:26:02 EST 2007

I'm creating a Python application that is internal to my
organization, but will be installed on both Linux and Mac OS X
machines.  The application depends heavily on a number of "non-pure"
modules (those that have C/C++/FORTRAN components), like numpy,
scipy, gdal, etc.

What is the most "pythonic" way to bundle these types of modules
inside my application?

I've investigated dist_utils and setuptools, and I don't see an easy
way with those tools to include build instructions for packages built
with autconf tools.

Is my only recourse to write a custom install script that calls the
"configure;make;make install" from a shell?

--Mike

Michael Hearne
mhearne at usgs.gov
(303) 273-8620
USGS National Earthquake Information Center
1711 Illinois St. Golden CO 80401
Senior Software Engineer
Synergetics, Inc.