[SciPy-user] gaussian smoothing

Travis E. Oliphant oliphant at enthought.com
Tue Nov 6 12:37:25 EST 2007

Marc Beck wrote:
> I am a graduate assistant at the Space Science Center at Morehead
> State University. I am currently writing a program to convert raw data
> from our 21m antenna into a *.FITS image using numpy and scipy. I need
> to convolve the pixels of my image. I have three arrays: one for the
> x- coordinate, one for the y- coordinate and one for the brightness of
> the pixel. I need to feed those three arrays into a function to
> convolve the pixels and I need to get the same three arrays out with
> the new values, or the rest of the program does not work. Someone from
> the python forum referred me to some code at
> http://www.scipy.org/Cookbook/SignalSmooth
> <http://www.scipy.org/Cookbook/SignalSmooth>
>
> but I don't understand which variable is what and how to integrate
> this into my program. Please explain to me how I can make my program
> work. I hope that I have described clearly enough what I am planning
> to do.
>
> I e-mailed the author of that code and asked for help, but this person
> is very busy and does not have the time to help me.

Hi Marc,

We are going to need more information in order to help you.
Convolution usually requires two inputs (the images or signals to be
convolved) and it returns one output (the convolved signal).

What are the purposes of the x- and y- coordinates?   Is the data not
evenly-sampled?    What do you expect to be done with these coordinates
values?

You are not mentioning what you are convolving the input with?

To help you explore.  You can find general convolution as
scipy.signal.convolve

Best regards,

--Travis O.