[SciPy-user] Scipy + Vision = LabView ?

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Sat Nov 3 20:52:13 EDT 2007

On Sun, Nov 04, 2007 at 01:37:28AM +0100, Stef Mientki wrote:
> What I mean, is for "realtime" control loops.
> Let's say I sample data at something like 20 kHz,
> want to perform some calculations on it,
> display it and feed the manipulated data back to my hardware,
> how am I going to let the data flow:
> - sample by sample, much too slow
> - chunking, that will work, but do these environments support that ?
> I do the latter in Scipy, but with a Delphi GUI ;-) , that works quit well.
> In the radio world there seems to be a even much faster approach (real
> time demodulation).

I have done this kind of stuff, and I don't think the current status of
the different Python visual programming engines is good enough to do
this, unless you want really low timescales for you feedback loop. I am
not saying it is impossible, I am just saying there is a lot of work to
be done. The problem is that unless your time scales are really slow, you
will want some reasonnably fine control on what is happening in you loop.

My 2 cents,

Gaël