[SciPy-user] Expending Python with SWIG or Boost.Python?

Albert Strasheim fullung at gmail.com
Wed May 30 18:15:38 EDT 2007

On Wed, 30 May 2007, Fred Jendrzejewski wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, den 30.05.2007, 22:07 +0200 schrieb Albert Strasheim:
<snip>

> Thank you for this advices, i will read very very much of the docs
> tomorrow.
> The aim of the project was it to save time by using python for
> interfaces. So the main preference is to find something, that makes it
> possible to wrap the code in a short time. Because if there is a lot of
> overhead to do everytime i am changing the library for implementing this
> in python, all this work is senseless. So I would be mainly interested
> in experiences with the effort to maintain the code after the switch.

You might also be interested in Py++. It allows you to write Python code
that generates the Boost.Python wrapper code. As I understand it, it is
a replacement for Pyste.

http://www.language-binding.net/

I haven't used Py++ much (for now I prefer to write the wrappers by
hand so that I know what's going on), but if you have to deal with code
that changes frequently, Py++ might be what you want.

The Py++ author is also very active on the cpp-sig (Python C++ SIG)
mailing list, so you can get more help there.

Cheers,

Albert