[SciPy-user] Getting started wiki page

Steve Schmerler elcorto at gmx.net
Sun May 13 06:37:47 EDT 2007

Fernando Perez wrote:
> On 5/12/07, Gael Varoquaux <gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I would very much link the Getting Started wiki page (
>> http://scipy.org/Getting_Started ) to the front page. But I am not sure
>> it is of good enough quality so far. Could people please have a look and
>> make comments, or edit the page.

First of all: very cool work, thanks!

and ... here are my 2 cents:

You used "from scipy import *" which is
totally OK for interactive work and small scripts as long as one knows what was
imported from where. Maybe it's worth mentioning that for larger projects it's
adviced to "import scipy.fft" or "from scipy.fftpack import fft" so as to educate
people into this direction from the beginning.

In the FFT example, maybe you could also mention (for completeness) scipy's fft
stuff. People who just get started would maybe wonder what this mysterious numpy.dual
is and why they should import fft from there :)

Another small thing: After the "concatenate?" introduction, there is

In [10]: plot(abs(N.concatenate((b[500:],b[:500]))))

where you didn't mention that N is numpy. With the -pylab switch this could even be
omitted. You focused much on interactive work. Maybe mention that for doing the above
in a program one has to import concatenate from somewhere (numpy) manually.

OK, this were my little stumble-upons. Otherwise as I said, many thanks for putting
this together!

--
cheers,
steve

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. -- Douglas Adams