[SciPy-user] Scipy / matplotlib to replace matlab and indexes

Stef Mientki s.mientki at ru.nl
Sun May 6 13:03:44 EDT 2007

John Pye wrote:
> So, what will 'they' say in return?
>
>     * Where's the manual?

yes that's a real disadavantage,
here's a start

  http://www.limsi.fr/Individu/pointal/python/pqrc/

>     * What is the one single file that I have to install?

well you've
- Enthought edition (rather buggy)
- Enthought enstaller (for windows users a bit clumsy)
- portable Scipy (written by myself ;-)

http://oase.uci.kun.nl/~mientki/data_www/pic/jalcc/python/portable_scipy.html

>     * Why do I have to pay to get the numpy manual?

that's a pity,
and not for the money, I wouldn't mind paying for it (or better said let
my boss pay for it),
but it's a real pain to order from non standard distributors at our
university !!
> I use python/matplotlib and to a lesser extent scipy very frequently but
> I have to say that I don't think the user experience is quite smooth
> enough for foisting on those poor undergrads just yet.
Ever tried a good IDE (e.g. PyScripter) with auto-completion/suggestion
in combination with Python,
much better than the MatLab editor.

>  I think that the
> fragmentation of the documentation is just too much, as well as the fact
> that a really important part of the documentation is non-free. I would
> like to see a one-file installer for Windows (AFAIK this doesn't exist)
> and big searchable .CHM file with everything you need.
Yes that's indeed what we need.
I'm building my own right now, by redirecting the help from the IDE to a
multipage html editor,
but of course that will only contain what I'm interested in ;-)
>  You have to think
> about all those people who struggle through their first programming
> course...
>
> I'm curious as to whether SciLab was an option you've considered?

Scilab indeed has a few advantages (if you only look at the standard
MatLab functionality),
- better documentation
- includes Simulink + PowerSim
Disadvantages of SciLab:
- it's only suited for Math, not for general programming
- embedding and encapsulation is not supported
- an even smaller user group at least the English written one

cheers,
Stef Mientki