[SciPy-user] Installation SciPy on FC5

iCy-fLaME icy.flame.gm at gmail.com
Tue May 1 04:58:56 EDT 2007

You should really upgrade to the latest FC release if possible, FC has
a rather short life cycle.

FC6 repo does contain a scipy, however, I always build my own latest release.

"yum install" the following:

python-devel
python-numarray

lapack
lapack-devel

atlas
atlas-devel

# depend on what extensions your machine support
# cat /proc/cpuinfo will give you some ideas.
atlas-3dnow
atlas-3dnow-devel

atlas-sse
atlas-sse-devel

atlas-sse2
atlas-sse2-devel

fftw
fftw-devel

fftw2
fftw2-devel

You will also need the standard development libs and tools, so you can
do "yum groupinstall" for the following:

"Development Libraries"
"Development Tools"

Yes, "yum remove" the following packages if you already have them installed:

numpy
scipy
python-numeric
gnuplot

They tend to be rather out-dated and doesnt make use of all your existing libs.

python-numeric is the old Numeric lib, should be replace by numpy in
new codes, use only if you have some old codes that needs it.

Terminal support in the standard gnuplot package is terrible, takes
more effort to fix it than rebuild it. If you are likely to use
gnuplot, compile your own.

Download the source code for numpy and scipy then compile them
yourself, should go pretty smoothly.

--
iCy-fLaME