[SciPy-user] can basearray using somehow be tried already?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 15:08:18 EDT 2007

dmitrey wrote:
> Hi all,
> is currently any way to try using basearray?

It does not exist. It was a proposal to add a minimal array object like that
from numpy to the Python core. That proposal is dead now. If you want an array
package for Python that is currently available, you want numpy.

  http://numpy.scipy.org

> first of all I'm very interested in operators (matmult, dotmult etc) -
> will they have MATLAB/Octave/omatrix/etc -like style
> dot is present => dotwise operation
> dot is absent => matrix operation
> or other?

No, we do not have the ability to change Python's syntax to add operators. For
the array object, operators all act element-wise. numpy also provides a matrix
object based on the array object which implements the relevant operators as
matrix operations (e.g. * is a matrix multiplication rather than element-wise
multiplication).

> And what will creation way look like? I mean something like
> x = [1 2 3; 4 5 6]

x = numpy.array([[1, 2, 3], [4, 5, 6]])

Again, we don't have the ability to change Python's syntax to support other such
syntaxes.

If you want some documentation in terms that are familiar to Matlab and Octave
users, you should read this page:

  http://www.scipy.org/NumPy_for_Matlab_Users

--
Robert Kern