[SciPy-user] Reading Binary Files

John Hassler hasslerjc at comcast.net
Thu Mar 8 15:28:11 EST 2007

I realize that I was so eager to answer your question that I neglected
to try to solve your problem.  If you have the source (and if this isn't
legacy data files), just recompile with more usable I/O formats.  We
used to use unformatted I/O back in the day when a BIG computer might
have several tens of K (as in K) of memory, and the high speed I/O was
mag. tape.  We'd dump to tape to get some free memory, backspace, and
read it back in when we needed it.  "Unformatted" I/O was intended to be
used by programs made by the same compiler on the same computer, and not
for any external use.
john