[SciPy-user] Arrayfns in numpy?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 02:53:48 EST 2007

Fernando Perez wrote:
> On 3/7/07, Travis Oliphant <oliphant at ee.byu.edu> wrote:
>>> -100
>>>
>>> I am strongly opposed to mixing computations into NumPY.  Why is 1-d
>>> interpolation good to have inside of NumPy? why not nd-interpolation?
>>> why not fft? or SVD? or some linear algebra thing?
>>>
>> I agree with the idea of the statement.  However, practicality may beat
>> purity here because of the backward-compatibility issue.  The only
>> proposal on the table is pulling in more functions from arrayfns.   I'm
>> fine if they live in the oldnumeric name-space (but it will actually be
>> easier to put them in the lib namespace because the arrayfnsmodule.c
>> file became the _compiled_base.c file in numpy.lib.
>>
>> Perhaps they can still live in _compiled_base.c  but not be pulled in to
>> numpy.lib (only a  oldnumeric.arrayfns module).
>
> -1.  If they are going to go in, make them first-class citizens.

Except for interp, those functions really don't deserve to be first class. I
can't even understand what most of them do on a first (and second and third,
frankly) pass through their comments.

http://fresh.t-systems-sfr.com/unix/src/privat2/gmath-0.3.tar.gz:a/GMatH/lib/NumPySession/doc/NumPy/module-arrayfns.html

--
Robert Kern