[SciPy-user] nonlinear fit with non uniform error?

David Huard david.huard at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 10:19:29 EDT 2007

Trevis,

2007/6/21, Trevis Crane <t_crane at mrl.uiuc.edu>:

>  As an aside, will those of you who are **more** in the know on this topic
> than the rest of us suggest a good text that has a worthwhile treatment of
> this subject (as well as other related data analysis/statistical issues)?

My bible is Probability Theory : The Logic of Science by E. T. Jaynes.
http://omega.albany.edu:8008/JaynesBook.html
It's not so much a book about optimization and fitting than on the general
principles of probability. It was worth the reading time though.

There is a paper in the hydrological literature (Sorooshian and Dracup,
water resources research, vol.16, no.2, 1980) that discusses the calibration
of hydrologic models in correlated and heteroscedastic error cases. I guess
every discipline has a paper similar to this one but this is the one I know.

There is also a Book by A. Zellner, An Introduction to Bayesian Inference in
Econometrics, 1971 that I found helpful.

As you can see, I'm not aware of a comprehensive treatise on the subject. I
just picked up bits from different articles.
HTH,
David

I'd love to learn more about it, but just jumping on Amazon and picking a