[SciPy-user] nonlinear fit with non uniform error?

massimo sandal massimo.sandal at unibo.it
Thu Jun 21 05:24:58 EDT 2007

Sorry, but I am quite a noob in serious data analysis (degree in
molecular biology, sigh)...

> The easiest solution is to rescale your y values by the uncertainties
> before doing the fit.

What do you mean by that?

> Now, if your errors are not Gaussian, least-squares is no longer the
> correct approach and your life becomes more difficult...

In which sense not Gaussian? In the sense that for each point, the
uncertainity is not Gaussian distributed? It should at least with good
approximation be. If it is in another sense, please explain...

thanks,
m.

--
Massimo Sandal