[SciPy-user] read/write compressed files

Francesc Altet faltet at carabos.com
Wed Jun 20 13:27:07 EDT 2007

El dc 20 de 06 del 2007 a les 17:48 +0200, en/na Dominik Szczerba va
escriure:
> Yes, I know it, but it does not return a scipy array, does it?
> Can I achieve it without copying memory? (I have huge arrays to process)

Do you need bzip2 for something in special? In general, zlib or lzo are
enough for achieving decent compress ratios in numerical data, while
allowing much better compression, and specially decompression, speed.

In any case, PyTables does have support for the (zlib, lzo, bzip2)
threesome right out of the box.  In addition, it is meant to deal with
huge arrays (it saves data in small chunks that are compressed and
decompressed individually, so you don't have to worry about wasting too
much memory for (de-)compression buffers).

Regards,

--
Francesc Altet    |  Be careful about using the following code --
Carabos Coop. V.  |  I've only proven that it works,