[SciPy-user] non linear optimisation

Ramon Crehuet rcsqtc at iiqab.csic.es
Mon Jun 11 11:56:14 EDT 2007

Dear all,
    I have a problem of non-linear optimisation (see below for a
experimental description). I have many experimental curves (x,y) and
want to fit the points to a non-linear function y=f(x; a,b,c...), where
a,b,c... are the parameters. I know how to do that. But the tricky thing
is that some parameters should be the same for all the curves, and some
are different for each curve, and I don't know if there is any module
that can help me in doing this non-linear fit of *all* the curves at the
same time.
    For the experimental scientists, I will say that these curves
correspond to absorption spectra for the same compound in different
solvents. The model curve f(x; a,b,c...) has some parameters that depend
on the solvent and others that depend only on the compound, and thus,
should be the same for all the spectra.
    Before starting to program blindly, I'd like to know if someone has
faced this problem before. I could not find anything in the
documentation, probably because I don't know if there is a specific name
for these kind of problems.
Thanks in advance,
Ramon