[SciPy-user] Another error while installing scipy

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Tue Jul 31 22:00:08 EDT 2007

Robert Kern wrote:
> Alexander Dietz wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> while trying to install scipy on my laptop (FC5, numpy 1.0.3) I
>> encountered finally an error never occured before. I would appreciate to
>> resolve this problem in order to get scipy installed.
>>

>>   File "Lib/odr/setup.py", line 9, in ?
>>     from numpy.distutils.misc_util import get_path, Configuration, dot_join
>> ImportError: cannot import name get_path
>>

>> As far as I know I have all these lapack, blas and atlas packages
>> installed. Any ideas?
>>

> I goofed before the 1.0.3 release. I thought that get_path() was only used
> internally; it *is* currently deprecated in favor of using the Configuration
> object. Lib/odr/setup.py is fixed in scipy SVN, though.

Alexander, to install numpy and scipy, you should really try the rpms of
the ashigabou repository, they take care of all those problems. It is
just a matter to add the repository to your package manager, and then
everything is taken care for you. The above problem is taken care of,
for example :) (I backported some changes from svn to make it work).

David