[SciPy-user] Numpy/Scipy on AIX

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Mon Jul 30 01:27:34 EDT 2007

Pearu Peterson wrote:

> David Cournapeau wrote:
>
>> scipy cannot compile lapack by itself.
>
> yes, it can. Just define env. variables BLAS_SRC, LAPACK_SRC
> pointing to blas, lapack source directories, respectively.
> If there are some blas or lapack libraries lying
> around in the system  then one must also set BLAS=None, LAPACK=None,
> ATLAS=None so that numpy.distutils will not pick up the unwanted libraries.
Wow, I didn't see this feature while I packaged scipy. Sorry for the
misinformation.

>> There is a pretty good chance that the LAPACK you compiled has something
>> wrong: LAPACK is difficult to compile correctly when you want to use it
>> in a non Fortran environment; at least it is on Linux. Did you test LAPACK ?
>>
>> LAPACK 3.1.1 causes problems with scipy at the moment, too, so I
>> recommend you to compile the version 3.0 (beware though, you should NOT
>> use the BLAS from LAPACK 3.0, because it is buggy). If I were you, I
>> would do this first: compile LAPACK 3.0 with the AIX BLAS, and compile
>> the testers and run them (doing a make lapack_testing should be enough).
>
> I have fixed the problems with LAPACK 3.1.1 recently. Just use numpy
> from SVN and scipy should compile fine with LAPACK 3.1.1.
Do all the tests pass now ? As far as I remembered (but this was a few
months ago), building with LAPACK 3.1.1 is possible, but some tests
fail. I don't have the time right now to recompile my own lapack to
reproduce the problem, but I can do it within the new few days if you
need more precise informations.

David