[SciPy-user] reading .mat-files (Matlab 7)

Stefan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Fri Jul 27 09:20:59 EDT 2007

On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 05:48:13PM +0200, stef mientki wrote:
> I think that's one of the differences between the "rich world"  and the
> "poor world"

You may be surprised at the amount of exploitation that takes place in
the "poor world" by big software companies.  Fortunately, the South
African government is pro free software, and invests big money in
developing alternatives to commercial packages.

At our university, the vast majority of all engineering is still done
using MATLAB.  It's usage is so deeply ingrained, that it is very
difficult to convince people to consider free alternatives.

We are fortunate to have talented teachers and ambassadors in our
midst.  Two years ago, for example, Fernando Perez came to South
Africa, championing the cause and, through his workshop, broadening
the vision of many engineers, mathematicians and engineers.

Sometimes, a bit of effort is needed to set the ball rolling and to
overcome the initial resistance offered by comfort zones.  Once that
has been breached, the facts speak for themselves.

Regards
Stéfan