[SciPy-user] scipy code contribution question

Lev Givon lev at columbia.edu
Sun Jul 15 18:46:19 EDT 2007

Received from Robert Kern on Sun, Jul 15, 2007 at 05:35:09PM EDT:
> Lev Givon wrote:
> > Received from Lev Givon on Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 08:14:21PM EDT:
> >
> > (snip)
> >
> >> Insofar as the item that prompted my first message is concerned, I
> >> desire a filter design function similar to others currently
> >> available in scipy to facilitate the construction of FIR filters
> >> with the Remez algorithm (i.e., something similar to the remezord or
> >> firpmord functions in Matlab) given some typical design parameters
> >> (e.g., band cutoff frequencies, ripple constraints, etc.). As the
> >> relevant algorithms needed by such a filter design function are not
> >> overly complicated, I could look them up an appropriate DSP text or
> >> paper and try implementing them completely from scratch (unless some
> >> generous soul reading this list has already done so :-)
> >>
> >>    	       	   	    		     	  L.G.
> >
> > I finished implementing and testing the aforementioned filter design
> > algorithms. May I add the code directly to Lib/signal/filter_design.py
> > (where similar functions are defined)? Or can I create my own corner
> > in the sandbox and put the functions in there for folks to examine and
> > test before they are moved into the aforementioned file?
>
> To clarify, did you implement them from scratch, or did you use the
> Matlab source? The final location should be filter_design.py, but
> please submit it in the form of a patch to the Trac. Thanks.
>
> --
> Robert Kern

I implemented them by reading a relatively recent paper on FIR filter
length estimation that describes several such algorithms; the default
algorithm is ostensibly superior to that employed in Matlab. I'll
include a reference to the paper in the source code.

							L.G.