[SciPy-user] lowess in scipy?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 19:35:10 EST 2007

Bill Baxter wrote:
> On 1/23/07, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Gael Varoquaux wrote:
>>> Now I am being stupid, but what kind of license is that ?
>> It's substantially similar to the MIT license.
>>
>>   http://opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php
>>
>> It's scipy-compatible, which is all that I care about.
>
> SciPy allows such advertising clauses?

What advertising clause? The documentation clause is not the same thing as an
advertising clause. Scipy's license has a similar one:

  b. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
     documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

If you want a good overview of how to interpret open source licenses and the
various legal issues surrounding them, I suggest Larry Rosen's book _Open Source
Licensing: Software Freedom and Intellectual Property Law_ available under an
open source license itself:

  http://www.rosenlaw.com/oslbook.htm

--
Robert Kern