[SciPy-user] initial release of a finite element code

Robert Cimrman cimrman3 at ntc.zcu.cz
Mon Jan 22 06:43:01 EST 2007

Matthew Brett wrote:
>> A very simple web-site runs on my own computer -
>> http://ui505p06-mbs.ntc.zcu.cz/sfe - do not fear the long hostname.
>
> Ah - thank you very much for making this available.  I noticed SFE was
> GPL licensed - I don't suppose there is any chance that you would
> consider BSD would you?  We:
>
> http://neuroimaging.scipy.org/
>
> are committed to a BSD license, so it's a big thing for us.

I have read carefully the discussion about licensing issues (Python
Equations thread) and, personally, I am in favor of BSD, too. But I
develop the code for my department and here things become more
complicated...

My colleagues do not understand the open source / free software license
issues much, so after my brief introduction we quickly agreed on GPL - I
wanted to make the release as soon as possible. IMHO more such
reactions/opinions (together with cooperation offers :)) could flip
their opinion.

cheers,
r.