[SciPy-user] Re-releasing Python Equations under a new license?

Ed Schofield edschofield at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 12:33:52 EST 2007

On 1/19/07, John Hunter <jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu> wrote:

>     Fernando> This should (with John's permission) probably go into
>     Fernando> the scipy FAQ...
>
> I'm happy to see it there, at the risk that one day I may get an angry
> look from Stallman....

Interesting article. But, if we post it on scipy.org, I'd like to make two
important corrections:

The best known and perhaps most widely used license is the GPL, which
> in addition to granting you full rights to the source code including
> redistribution, carries with it an extra obligation. If you use GPL
> code in your own code, or link with it, your product must be released
> under a GPL compatible license. I.e., you are required to give the source
> code to other people and give them the right to redistribute it as
> well.

You *may* use GPL code in your own code in-house without releasing it under
the GPL. You must *only* release your product under the GPL if you
distribute it to the public in binary form (Section 2).

The LGPL is more permissive than the GPL, allowing you to link with it
> non-virally, but many companies are still loath to use it out of legal
> concerns, and you cannot reuse LGPL code in a proprietary product.

You *may* reuse LGPL code in a proprietary product in-house, as with the
GPL. You may also distribute closed-source binaries that link with LGPL
code, provided you give "prominent notice" that you're using LGPL code and
offer to redistribute any modifications you've made to the LGPL code
(Section 6).

-- Ed