[SciPy-user] Docstring standards for NumPy and SciPy

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Thu Jan 18 14:24:35 EST 2007

Alan G Isaac wrote:

>On Wed, 17 Jan 2007, Travis Oliphant apparently wrote:
>

>>Probably something like :OtherParameters: or something
>>like that.  I prefer white-space as in  :Other Parameters:
>>if it can be made to work.
>>

>While Ed suggested that he can make this work, it would be
>a deviation from standard reST.  Each time there is such
>a deviation, it makes it harder for other reST based
>processors (besides Epydoc) to process the docs.
>So perhaps :OtherParameters: or :Parameters2: would be better.
>

>>1) :lm:`foo` for :latex-math:`foo`
>>2) :m:`foo` for :math:`foo`
>>

>I must have missed a post: what is the distinction being
>drawn here?  I do not know what :math: is unless it is
>:latex-math:.  I can imagine also having, say, :lout-math:
>but I do not recall this being discussed.

:math:

would be an equation that does not necessarily use latex syntax for
math.  Several markup languages define math so that for example
:math:`y=f(x)` renders differently.

:latex-math:

would use latex symbols and commands for math --- something like
:latex-math:`y=f\right(x\left)` for example.

-Travis