[SciPy-user] scipy installation problems for a newbie

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 01:00:11 EST 2007

Jonathan Kane wrote:
> It can't seem to find the file /usr/local/lib/libgfortran.1.dylib
> (there are files called  libgfortran.2.0.0.dylib , libgfortran.2.dylib,
> libgfortran.a, libgfortran.dylib, libgfortran.la, however......)

Ah. Looks like the gfortran binaries were upgraded to a newer version after
Chris built the Superpack. That's ... unfortunate. I hereby curse all people who
release tarballs without version information.

Well, you have a couple of options. You can uninstall the compilers that you got
from the hpc.sf.net page pretty cleanly. You can get a list of the files it
unpacked like so

  $ tar ztf /path/to/gfortran-intel-bin.tar.gz
  usr/local/
  usr/local/._.DS_Store
  usr/local/.DS_Store
  usr/local/bin/
  usr/local/bin/gfortran

I would probably want to remove those files manually.

Then you can install the gfortran-intel-bin.tar.gz that is in the ScipySuperpack
 zip file. That should be the one it was built with. Don't worry about the
corresponding gcc. It's unnecessary.

Alternatively, now that you have your compilers already set up, you could build
numpy and scipy yourself. They're not too hard. matplotlib is harder, if you
need that, too, but we'll take this two steps at a time. See the instructions I
gave earlier on the list. The matplotlib part is missing a crucial detail, but
the numpy and scipy bits are complete and accurate.

  http://projects.scipy.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/2007-January/025368.html

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."