[SciPy-user] [Nipy-devel] how to wrap C++

Karl Young Karl.Young at ucsf.edu
Wed Jan 17 14:08:57 EST 2007

>Many of us happily use python for speed-critical code, and we feel
>that a careful mix of python, numpy, pyrex and raw C provides a very
>good environment with a minimal amount of confusion (since you
>basically only need to know Python and C syntax, pyrex being a blend
>of the two).

Sorry for the tangential question but Fernando's post reminded me of a
question I had which is what do scipy folks recommend
these days re. wrapping C++ packages. I'm working on a project that
would like to wrap a C++ NMR simulation package, either as a NiPy
component or a standalone package to be used in conjunction with NiPy
(need to determine the best way to do that - NiPy is primarily focused
on neuroimaging and adding a spectroscopy component might be adding
unnecessary clutter, even though the ultimate goal is analysis of
spectroscopic imaging data). Before the original C++ package ceased it's
evolution (a couple of years ago) one of the developers had gotten about
halfway through using Boost to provide a python interface. I did a
little bit of work with SWIG a few years ago but for a very small
package. So we're not sure whether to try and complete the original
effort (using newer versions of python and Boost) or to start over with
a currently more appropriate choice. Any thoughts welcome, thanks,

-- KY

Karl Young
Center for Imaging of Neurodegenerative Diseases, UCSF
VA Medical Center (114M)              Phone:  (415) 221-4810 x3114  lab
4150 Clement Street                   FAX:    (415) 668-2864
San Francisco, CA 94121               Email:  karl young at ucsf edu