[SciPy-user] maskedarray

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 14:17:30 EST 2007

On Dec 12, 2007 7:24 AM, Pierre GM <pgmdevlist at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 December 2007 15:48:01 Tom Johnson wrote:
> > What is the status regarding 'maskedarray'?  When will this become
> > part (replace ma) of the standard distribution?  Also, what is the
> > recommended way to import sandbox modules so that code changes are
> > minimized when (if) the package becomes part of the standard
> > distribution.
>

> Mmh, no answer from our leaders ? Well, for now maskedarray lives in the scipy
> sandbox, but it probably could be transferred to the numpy sandbox. There's
> still no particular decision I'm aware of about putting it the official
> release. More feedback is probably needed from users.

Well, I'm certainly not one of the leaders, but it's probably worth
mentioning that this weekend Jarrod is organizing a small sprint at UC
Berkeley to try to flush out a number of things for numpy/scipy.  And
last weekend John Hunter and I taught a workshop at NCAR here in
Boulder, where they expressed a LOT of interest in seeing the MA
situation resolved, and were willing to commit resources to making it
happen (their codes rely on MA throughout).  So I added MA to the
sprint todo list already, counting on NCAR's resources once a decision
is made.  I'd meant to mention it here and just hadn't had the time
for it.

So it would be great if perhaps we could be in touch over the weekend
(Fri/Sat/Sun) to touch bases on this at some point, to get your
feedback.  If you have skype access, perhaps you could email me
directly and we can then set up a time(s) when a brief skype
conversation might be feasible.

Cheers,