[SciPy-user] skew Gaussian distribution

Gary Pajer gary.pajer at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 13:57:58 EDT 2007

On 8/23/07, David Goldsmith <David.L.Goldsmith at noaa.gov> wrote:

> Please educate me: what are a "skew" and "kurtotid" Gaussians?  (What I
> learned: Gaussians are - by definition - devoid of any
> higher-than-second moments; wouldn't (shouldn't) a "Gaussian" with
> higher-than-second moments be called something else entirely?)

Exactly.   So I could rephrase my question:  what is the name of the
distribution that is similar to a normal distribution, but has a variable
amount of skewness?   Or is such a distribution a special case of one of the
many distributions in scipy?

I *think*  the pdf of a "skew normal"  should be proportional to exp(-a*x**2
- b*x**3) but that comes from a quick google search.

Better yet:  what I'm trying to do is simulate the spectrum of an optical
emitter that I have.  The spectrum is nearly normal, but it is not
symmetric.  I'm looking for a model distribution.  I started by looking for
something quick and dirty.   If "quick" doesn't happen, I might actually
have to figure out if there is already a theoretically-expected distribution
for my case.  But in the meantime, quick and dirty still sounds good.

That's the real question.

thanks for helping me express what I want  :)
-gary

DG