[SciPy-user] New scipy release before 8/20?

Stefan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Wed Aug 8 11:39:39 EDT 2007

On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 04:50:51PM +0200, massimo sandal wrote:
> Ryan Krauss ha scritto:
> >So, I am trying to remove as
> >many barriers as possible to getting them to use Python and SciPy.  An
> >installation process made up of many steps and that involves replacing
> >a file manually doesn't inspire the confidence of windows users who
> >are used to things working "out-of-the-box".
>
> Your aim is noble and I understand that, but I think it's not by
> cheating (hiding tests etc.) that you will win them. I think it's by

A user unfamiliar with the scipy platform certainly doesn't need
irrelevant (and therefore confusing) warnings popping up.  I agree
with Ryan -- it is best to lower the barrier of entry as far as
possible.

Since scipy and numpy are so closely coupled, and given that the
current releases do not function together, we should make it a
priority to release a new version of scipy as soon as possible.  One
of the problems is that those who are capable of building packages
simply use the SVN version, so there isn't a lot of motivation to go
to all that trouble.

What would have been really cool is if we had an automated packaging
system, so that releasing was as simple as tagging and pushing a
button.

Stéfan