[SciPy-user] histogram equalization using scipy.interpolate.splrep

Sebastian Haase haase at msg.ucsf.edu
Thu Aug 2 09:56:54 EDT 2007

On 8/2/07, David Huard <david.huard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Sebastian,
>
> I know next to nothing about image transforms but it appears to me you could
> solve your problem by the following.
>
> a: image array
>
> fa = a.flatten()
>
> sa = sort(fa)
> c = a1.cumsum()/sa[-1]  # This is the cumulative distribution function [0,1]
> c = c*(max-min)+min     # Scale the CDF to whatever scale you're using (eg.
> [0,256])
>
> # Apply the scaling to the original image
> y = interp(fa, aa, c).
>
> # Reshape to the original form.
> new_a = y.reshape (a.shape)

Hi David,
thanks for the reply.
It certainly seems simple enough this way.

a1 = sa   I assume.
Is interp part of scipy.interpolate ? I don't know it.
What is aa ?

The only concern I have is that this might eat lots of memory and time
for large images. Sometimes I have 3D data with multiple 100MB in
size.
For example,  when the image's dtype is float or float32, I was hoping
that a "coarser" histogram would suffice.
Maybe, since you know "interp", you might know of another function,
that can lookup values from a function defined by a (sparse) sequence
of value pairs.
How about looking up multiple values at one (I think this is called
vectorizing !?) ?

Thanks again,
Sebastian