[SciPy-user] Distributed Array Library?

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 11:47:47 EDT 2007

Hi,

Some thoughts and potential directions:

1.  petsc4py is definitely worth looking at

2.  Also pytrillinos is another really good parallel array/matrix library:

http://software.sandia.gov/trilinos/packages/pytrilinos/

It seems very powerful and is well supported.

3.  Global arrays

Robert Harrison at ORNL has python bindings to this.  They probably
need updating, and I am not sure if/where they can be downloaded.
This could be very nice.  It also might make sense to do a simple
ctypes wrapper for the global array library.  I would be interested in
this.

4.  Someone could write low-level code using numpy+mpi4py

We (the IPython1 devs) have thought about this some.  To provide basic
distributed arrays wouldn't be very difficult.  The challenge is that
once you have such things, people will want things like eigensolvers,
linear solvers, etc.  These wouldn't be as easy.  But, there would be
an advantage.  The overall focus of the above packages is that they
are focused on linear algebra (matrices).  For higher rank tensors, I
am not sure they are that great.  I would be really nice to have
something that was better for "real" tensor work.  But it might make
sense to go with global arrays instead.

4.  IPython1.

While IPython1 doesn't provide any distributed array library, it would
provide a very nice context in which to use one of the above
solutions.  It would integrate seamlessly with any of the above and
enable interactive development/debugging/execution.  Here are details:

http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/Parallel_Computing

It would be great to have a tutorial showing how to use petsc4py or
pytrillinos with ipython1.  Any takers?

Brian