[SciPy-user] HDF5 vs FITS

Francesc Altet faltet at carabos.com
Sun Apr 22 06:18:40 EDT 2007

El dv 20 de 04 del 2007 a les 20:07 -0400, en/na James Turner va
escriure:
>  > It links to this paper which goes more in depth, but is still an
>  > overview of the capabilities (rather than documentation about how
>  > to use the libraries).
>
> Thanks -- that paper (2nd link) is a good reference, including a
> format comparison table on pages 8-9.
>
> I see the paper claims that "HDF5 is compatible with all of the
> competing formats discussed in Item 10b in that those data models can
> be expressed in terms of HDF5.", with one of the "competing formats"
> being FITS.

It depends on what the author would mean by 'compatible'. I think that
HDF5 is not meant to read FITS directly (nor will be in the future), but
through a conversor. There is a RFC about this subject going on:

http://www.hdfgroup.uiuc.edu/RFC/HDF5/fits2h5/fits2h5.htm

Cheers,

--
Francesc Altet    |  Be careful about using the following code --
Carabos Coop. V.  |  I've only proven that it works,