[SciPy-user] ubuntu feisty?

Gary Pajer gary.pajer at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 11:39:00 EDT 2007

On 4/18/07, Ryan Krauss <ryanlists at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am having some issues with Ubuntu Edgy and my new laptop's wireless
> card.  I have some hope that Feisty may fix these problems, but I am
> wondering if it will cause more problems than it fixes.  Has anyone
> tried Feisty beta with Scipy?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ryan

Edgy doesn't play well with some wireless systems for some reason.  I
had problems on my Thinkpad with the Intel Pro Wireless 2100 adapter
and the linux ipw2100 driver.

I found a website with a solution that worked for me.  I can't find
the site now, (I know I kept track of it somewhere) but here's the
result:

Execute

sudo ifconfig eth1 up
iwlist eth1 scanning

find the access point you want, then

sudo iwconfig eth1 essid MY_ACCESS_POINT
sudo iwconfig eth1 key MY_WEB_KEY_IF_I_HAVE_ONE
sudo dhclient

I made scripts for the two APs that a frequently use:
ifconfig eth1 up
iwlist eth1 scanning
iwconfig eth1 essid XXXXXX
iwconfig eth1 key YYYYYYYYYY
dhclient

and run it as sudo.  Works like a charm.

*Sometimes* I can connect with one of the Ubuntu GUI tools.  If one of
the tools finds an access point but doesn't complete the connection, I
can complete it manually with

sudo dhclient

I'm looking forward to Feisty  :)

-gary