[SciPy-user] (numerical) "solving" 2-dimensional equations ?

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 18:36:04 EDT 2007

This isn't really an answer but I think the keyword for googling would
be "algebraic equations" with words like "plotting" or "graphing".

For the simple case you gave you can solve by making it a function of
one var or the other:
y = +/- sqrt( 4 - x^2 )

But note the +/- there because there are two solutions to anything of
the form x^2 = c

If you're looking to handle arbitrary algebraic curves of arbitrary
degree, it's not so simple.

One simple way to get an approximation is to evaluate it implicitly on
a pixel grid.
For each pixel you look at the value of  abs( x^2 + y^2 - 4 ).  If
it's less than some small number then paint the pixel black.  This
isn't a very robust way to draw it though, just simple.  :-)