[SciPy-user] Pros and Cons of Python verses other array environments

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 03:49:31 EDT 2006

On 9/29/06, David Cournapeau <david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote:
> >
> > Hey Fernando.   I actually broke down and started using ipython
> > instead of pyCrust recently, despite my dislike for being stuck in the
> > lame Windows console.  It is a great shell, (love the ? and "func arg"
> > --> "func(arg)" features).
> everytime I am stuck on windows, I have the same problem. I don't know
> if it is doable, but you may want to see if ipython can work inside
> console (I don't know how is the console application separated from the
> shell, and if pyreadline can be used inside something else than cmd.exe):
>

> http://sourceforge.net/projects/console/
>
> At least, you can change the font, have tab consoles, and change the
> size of the window.

Just yesterday it was reported on the ipython list that it works like
a charm.  Ville Vainio (the trunk maintainer) was very pleased with
it, after another user mentioned it on the list.

It sounds like a good alternative for those who are forced to use
Windows for one reason or another, and would like a sane terminal to
work in.

Cheers,