[SciPy-user] Trouble installing on OSX 10.4 Intel

David Andrews irbdavid at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 08:30:13 EDT 2006

This is getting messy now.
Pulled down the latest version of matplotlib (0.87.5), and installed
it.  Now experiencing issues due to incompatibility between this
latest version of matplotlib and the version of numpy in the
superpack:

>>> from pylab import *
RuntimeError: module compiled against version 1000002 of C-API but
this version of numpy is 1000000

The import of the numpy version of the nxutils module,
_nsnxutils, failed.  This is is either because numpy was
unavailable when matplotlib was compiled, because a dependency of
_nsnxutils could not be satisfied, or because the build flag for
this module was turned off in setup.py.  If it appears that
_nsnxutils was not built, make sure you have a working copy of
numpy and then re-install matplotlib. Otherwise, the following
traceback gives more details:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-packages/pylab.py",
line 1, in ?
    from matplotlib.pylab import *
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-packages/matplotlib/pylab.py",
line 198, in ?
    import mlab  #so I can override hist, psd, etc...
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-packages/matplotlib/mlab.py",
line 64, in ?
    import nxutils
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-packages/matplotlib/nxutils.py",
line 17, in ?
    from matplotlib._ns_nxutils import *
ImportError: numpy.core.multiarray failed to import

Scipy and numpy can be imported okay.  This is sounding more like a
matplotlib issue than a numpy/scipy issue isn't it?  At any rate I
think the packages in the superpack need to be updated and tested
together.

Cheers,

Dave