[SciPy-user] L-BFGS in scipy

Nils Wagner nwagner at iam.uni-stuttgart.de
Thu Sep 14 02:24:00 EDT 2006

Xiaojian Wang wrote:
> Hi,
> Is anybody know which optimize module can handle general constrains?
> not like
> lower(i) < Xi  < upper(i)  in scipy.optimize.fmin_l_bfgs_b().
> instead, I would like to include constraint:
> Gi = cos(X1) + X2**2 + X3*X4 <= 0.0
>
> Xiaojian

fmin_cobyla(func, x0, cons, args=(), consargs=None, rhobeg=1.0,
rhoend=0.0001, iprint=1, maxfun=1000)
    Minimize a function using the Constrained Optimization BY Linear
    Approximation (COBYLA) method

    Arguments:

    func     -- function to minimize. Called as func(x, *args)

    x0       -- initial guess to minimum

    cons     -- a sequence of functions that all must be >=0 (a single
function
                if only 1 constraint)

    args     -- extra arguments to pass to function

    consargs -- extra arguments to pass to constraints (default of None
means
                use same extra arguments as those passed to func).
                Use () for no extra arguments.

    rhobeg --  reasonable initial changes to the variables

    rhoend --  final accuracy in the optimization (not precisely guaranteed)

    iprint  -- controls the frequency of output: 0 (no output),1,2,3

    maxfun  -- maximum number of function evaluations.

Nils