[SciPy-user] how to filter outliers from an array

Aaron Hoover ahoover at eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Oct 30 15:35:39 EST 2006

Hi All,

I'm doing feature matching between two images and as a result I get
back an array of dx, dy shift values in pixel space for potential
features that match between two images. I'd like to be able to throw
out [dx, dy] vectors for which either value deviates significantly
(more than one std deviation, perhaps) from the mean (I'm dealing
with 2D rigid body translations only. I could do this by looping over
the values and comparing them individually to the mean, but I'm
wondering if there's a more compact (single line?) way of doing this
perhaps using the scipy.stats package. Something along the lines of
the filter built-in for lists, but that handles the higher
dimensionality, would be nice.

Thanks,
Aaron